Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sculpting again..YEAH!!!!

It seems like it has been FOREVER (said like in the movie "The Sandlot" when the kids were talking about the big dog..hehe) since I have touched the clay. I decided this morning that today I was giving the squishy stuff some of my time. My muse has really been whispering about mermaids of late....so that's what I decided I would work on. This isn't a mermaid with flowing locks but a merchild....old enough to be discovering her world. Her hair is still in tiny little ringlets and she loves chattering with the fishies. Here are some WIP photos and keep in mind that I just started her this morning.


I know some of you must be saying "OMGOSH....this woman is slow"...LOL!!! I do take a good bit of time on my armatures. I start with twisted wire and then put it in the shape that I want. Then I wrap the wire with white florist tape. As I'm wrapping I am also building out areas...like the shoulders, hiney and such. I have discovered that I don't have to use as much clay when I actually shape the armature a bit more. Once it is all taped, I apply a thin layer of white glue. Ya know....plain old school glue!! Works wonders!! This gives the armature added strength plus it gives a better surface for the clay to adhere to.

Now I'm going to start applying clay to the armature and bring my little merchild to life.  Until next time..........

Hugs,
Regi

5 comments:

  1. Hi Regi! I love seeing your WIP. So is she going to sit in the shell? She looks very sweet, like a young little flipper - :)) I've been thinking of breaking out the clay, too. Can't wait to see this finished! xox Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I see what you mean now by that 'thin' shell! I actually think you work fast---you did a really nice job on the armature! I like the idea of 'ringlets' too. Kids don't have those too often anymore, lol.

    Peace,
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl!!! This face is amazing! She is going to be a real beauty.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to see the clay on your desk again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking just the opposite...for only just starting, you accomplished a lot!

    ReplyDelete